Pollokshaws from 1896

1  Barrhead Road, Haggs Road, Maxwell Street and Pollok Street junction 1896 On the left is the sleeper fence at the entrance to the at that time Glasgow, Barrhead & Neilston Railway Company’s goods and mineral station. At the corner of Haggs Road and Maxwell Street the original Old Swan pub is seen. Perhaps the painting of a swan above the door on the corner is the same one as was there until the name was changed in the 1990s. Nearly all the buildings in this block were cleared away for the three storey ‘old’ tenements standing there today. The man pausing at Haggs Road has a wooden wheelbarrow of a design common until after the 1950s. He may be heading for the builder’s yard on the right where the Wellgreen was later laid out. On the wall of the tenement in what became Greenview Street, at one storey level and just visible alongside the small stovepipe chimney projecting above the roof ridge of the shed, the Pollok Street name is painted on the stone. Also seen low down on the right is a sign advertising sunlight soap 2  Pollokshaws Panorama 1896 Known as Craigie’s Park, the field in the foreground is where Wellgreen Court stands today. Is that Mr. Craigie working with a rake on the far side? The ridge with the fence in the left background, now Shawhill Park, slopes down to St. Conval’s Infant’s School with its staircase tower and conical roof. It and St. Mary’s Church tower are part hidden by the gable of a tenement in Dovecot having a chimney head with many pots that is not recorded on the 1913 OS. map. The Townshouse and its clock are clearly seen but The Stag building, still to be constructed, will soon appear in the space on its left. To the right and part hidden by the tree, the gasworks storage tank, known as a gasometer, has the chimney of the production plant to its right. The other chimney was part of Stewart & McKenzie’s engineering works in Factory Street. When being filled, the tank rose up within the round girder frame. Note the counter-weights suspended by cables at the vertical supports 3  Burgh Halls 1896 Opened in 1909, the building was commissioned in 1897 by Sir John Stirling Maxwell at a cost to him of £20.000. Called initially the Masons Hall, it was gifted to the burgh for the use of local organisations and individuals. The architect was Dr. (later Sir) Rowand Anderson. There are two halls, the larger of which can accommodate up to 1000 and the smaller around 200, and there are one or two anterooms. Nearing completion here, the tower awaits installation of the clock. Note the builder’s materials strewn around the entrance and at the fence in Craigie’s Park, and what may be workers ready to begin work installing the railings on the steps. Opened in 1909, Sir John Maxwell School was built on the site behind. On the right the three short spires of Pollokshaws United Free Church can be made out, with the light coloured Royal George building at the very edge. The smoking chimney behind is probably the Greenholm Laundry 4  The mill and weir at Pollok House 1896 This posed scene in early spring allows more detail to be visible of the stables and sawmill than would be the case in summer with the trees in full leaf. In the centre to the left of the nearest standing figure, the exit of the sluice from the mill is visible. The slipway left of centre will be to give access for boats below the weir; there probably was another slip above it and the large corrugated iron shed in the right background may have been a boat shed. Until the middle of 18th century, within sight of Pollok House there was a settlement on the riverbank opposite the sawmill where estate workers lived. it was know as Polloktoun and over time it had grown and became unsightly. The laird of the time considered it to be an eyesore and arranged for the people who lived there to be moved to Pollokshaws, and Boglesbridge on the south side of the Shaw Bridge, and the buildings demolished. Only the remains of a dovecote are visible on the site today
5  Looking east from Pollokshaws West Station 1896 This was taken from the north end of the ‘up’ platform at Pollokshaws West station. That looks like a ‘doos hut’ in the hedge on the left side of the field. Above it is the building at the corner of Bengal Street and Main Street where the Maxwell Arms pub was located in later years. Note that the main three storey Co-op building has not yet been erected. The smoking factory chimney here will be the gasworks, and the high ground to its left must be Camphill at Langside. To the right here the low light coloured building with the sign, ‘Lyon’s Imperial Billiard Saloon’ may have been an ancestor of the Jessie Lyon’s referred to in other photos in the collection. In the centre, the first of the villas in the Lubnaig Road/St. Bride’s Road at Newlands are just visible in the distance, and the collection of buildings in line with the Shaw Bridge may be Dovehill Farm. Here is a bird’s eye view of the telephone pole cable insulators, a system that was in use for about a hundred years until the cables were laid underground 6  Pollok Academy (1856 - 1968) this photo 1896 An unusual building in the italian style, the Academy was designed by Baird and Thomson and was part financed by Sir John Maxwell. The architect was John Baird II whose his partner at the time was Alexander (Greek) Thomson. With two such eminent men involved, it is difficult to know who is responsible for what, but the gable windows are distinctly Thomson's, not placed singly as most other architects would have designed them. The chimneys, ventilator gratings and the tower are more like those on his early villas. The original school with the clock tower was the section on the right when viewed from the main road. The rest of the structure, by Baird alone, was added in 1874/5 after the building became the property of Eastwood Parish School Board. The extension was skilfully linked to the older section with an arcaded corridor. The west face of the extension had the inscription academia parochialis de poloc culturae christianae dedicata anno salutis mdccclvi. (Parish school of culture and learning of poloc dedicated 1856) 7  The Shaw Bridge 1896 On the left side of the bridge abutment there are lean-to shacks that have been put up by the market gardener to store his seeds, plants and equipment. In the foreground, on the other side of the plank barrier there are what looks like beetroot, carrots, leeks, potatoes and parsley visible, and no doubt there will be turnip there also, while on this side there are only dandelions. The outflow tunnel from the turbine works can be seen through the right hand arch. The weir was constructed originally as part of the meal mill that stood on the site. The derelict building on the extreme right looks as if it is ready for demolition 8  Main Street 1896 What interesting period bargains might be found in the shop on the left if the uppermost price ticket could be interpreted as ‘shoes 1/11’, or one shilling and eleven pence (between 9 and 10 pence decimal). The low building farther along with the white front at the billiards sign has a thatched roof. Beyond the two storey building and Bengal Street a range of low dwellings and shops are seen, of which the one with the projecting barber’s pole also has a thatched roof. They will be progressively removed for the Co-op building to be constructed around 1900. Coal merchant D. Mackie’s horse and cart are passing Kirk Lane and the ice cream parlour (before they became known as cafes) with its lamp and sign. On the right at Dick’s shop with its heavy ornate lamps is the close at number 93. Dick’s sign painted on the gable is claiming they are ‘cheaper than the city’. The van on the right is probably from Bilsland’s bakery, with its claim that their bread is ‘machine made’. Note the horse dung that polluted the streets before the arrival of motor vehicles