1 Whins of Potterfield, 1903, was the site of a pottery established in 1750. After Old Pollokshaws book I was published in November 2002 with its c1900 view of the hamlet on page 5, a copy of this winter snow scene, also identified as Potterfield, was presented to me. But in comparing the row of houses in the two photographs it was obvious they were not the same, and the background of this picture showed no details that might have helped confirm identification. However, a closer look at 1858 OS map revealed there were two rows of dwellings lying in line (not parallel!) about a hundred yards apart. The track that became Haggs Road passed through the space between them, going in front of the east face of the north row (this one), then at an angle past the west front of the south row. It has to be assumed that both views were taken looking south. See the accompanying sketch map drawn by Alisdair Armour. In the 19th century Lochinch coal pit lay about half-a-mile away to the north west, but there were two other pits much nearer to Potterfield; Quarry pit to the east and Titwood pit to the south east. The buildings of Potterfield were demolished around 1905.
2 The Wellgreen from Haggs Road (c1915). From the early days of the village it was a triangular railed-in grassy area containing a well with a pavement all round, and it is seen here with the original fourteen or fifteen lime trees newly planted round its border. In 2004 just ten of the trees have survived the building of the first, then the second doctors centres. Not visible here, so it must have been installed after this picture was taken, is the granite ornamental fountain, or well, seen in the photo on page 37 of Old Pollokshaws. The tenement on the left is in the short street known as Wellgreen, at that time it was Wilson Street. Behind and to its right is Sir John Maxwell School, then in the distance the isolated two-close tenement in Bengal Street known as Orchard Place, and the Burgh Halls. Beyond the railings here, Ashtree Road, which isn’t recorded on the 1913 OS map, looks as if it is newly laid out to run from what was then Barrhead Road up to meet Factory Street at the rear of the Townshouse. On the right near hand beyond the nearest gas lamp standard is the entrance to the goods station of the LMS Railway, with its sign projecting up from behind the sleeper fence. Also seen are five of the tall posts, which supported the (invisible) span wires that carried the power supply for the trams
3 1932. The Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway built this building at 1596 Pollokshaws Road some time during the second half of the 19th century for their employees. It lay at an angle enclosed within a curved fence of railway sleepers, on the shallow crescent shaped plot of land where the now closed Esso petrol filling station stands in Pollokshaws Road today. Plans are afoot for housing on the site. Behind, at a higher level, was the LMS Railway goods yard, the site of which is today occupied by Arnold Clark’s car showroom. Note the precariously propped up veranda with the lean-to porch at the left-hand end of the upper floor. The redevelopment Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) of 1959 lists three tenants here, Thomas Mooney, Bernard Conroy, and Elizabeth Little, but there were probably four houses. The upper right-hand one has a more secure looking porch and toilet(?) of brick. The door to the ground floor house on the left was probably where the cat and the cycle are seen, and the door to the one on the right may have been out of sight behind the stairs. Note also the twelve chimneys, which seems excessive for a building of this size. Coal merchants using the goods yard in the 1930s were Aitken Thomson, Vernal’s and, subsequently, the Co-op. On the left a couple of five-plank wagons can be seen, probably part of a rake carrying coal to be unloaded, weighed and bagged into heavy duty canvas sacks of 1cwt. These will be stacked on the coal merchant’s horse-drawn flatbed cart, and taken round the district and sold to householders. Coal carts had a tailboard standing up at the rear, with the name, address & phone number of the merchant painted on the back. They were loaded from the rear with up to 30 bags in one-and-a-half layers, a total weight of 1½ tons. Another feature was square metal plaques mounted on rods held up by brackets fixed to the board, which projected above it and displayed prices per cwt. On individual flags were BEST HOUSE COAL 1/10 (9p) a bag, NUTS (small graded coal) 2/- (10p), and DROSS (coal dust) 9d (4p). Sometimes the name of the pit from which it came was quoted, usually one with a reputation of producing good quality house coal, such as the Lady Victoria pit, at Newton Grange in Midlothian. In the right background behind the corrugated iron roof of the shed, the uppermost floor of the red sandstone tenement in Haggs Road can be seen.
4 Pollokshaws Road at Bengal Street c1955. The registration number on the small commercial vehicle, MGG 867, seen disappearing behind the leading tram, was issued in 1954. The tramcar, a Corporation Transport Department mk.II Coronation ‘Cunarder’, fleet number 1335, first used in 1950 and withdrawn in 1961, is on the 25 service bound for Carnwadric. Behind is one of the earlier main production batch (number not legible) on the 14 service bound for Arden. One hundred-and-fifty of the latter were put into service between the end of 1937, in time for the Empire Exhibition in 1938, and 1941. Prominently seen is the rope looping down from the roof at the forward ends of the ‘cars, used by the conductor to pull over the current collector at the terminus. Note the two adverts for cigarettes on the left, with between them the railway signal bracket carrying the main line and slow line up starter signals at the outlet from Pollokshaws goods yard. Farther on are beer and Usher’s Export ale adverts. On the right is the burgh hall boundary wall with entrance and exit gates, the pillars of which were surmounted by ornate iron brackets, which carried the decorative lights seen in the next photograph. The main-road section of this wall and the war memorial (with three hundred names inscribed on it) were moved back subsequently on two occasions for road widening schemes. Behind the Christian Street name plate is the house seen in the previous photo.
5 Pollokshaws Burgh Hall. Here are three views, with different interesting backgrounds, of this impressive building. It was commissioned by Sir John Stirling Maxwell at a cost of £20.000, and was completed and gifted to the burgh for the use of local individuals and organisations in 1898. The architect was Dr. (later Sir) Rowand Anderson. There are two halls, the larger of which can accommodate up to 1000 and the smaller around 200, and there are a number of anterooms.
c1910. In the left foreground behind the fence, where Christian Street will be laid out later, Craigie’s Park seems to be under cultivation. In the distance on the right, the three-storey tenement is in King Street at Cogan Street. The lower, light coloured building in front of the tenement will be the Royal George, which stood opposite Pollokshaws West United Free Church, the low pinnacles on the street frontage of which are just visible. The burgh hall was closed by Glasgow City Council in the 1990s, but has reopened and is currently in the care of the Burgh Hall Trust .
6 1931. Sir John Maxwell School is on the right with Crum Street passing between it and the hall, and the chimney of the baths in Ashtree Road, built in 1928, is seen seemingly sprouting from the rear of the hall. Is the ‘boneshaker’ seen parked in Bengal Street a model ‘T’ ford car, and does it belong to the photographer? Maybe even the children were brought along by him to pose!
7 1931. Too bad the war memorial, which stood in front of the halls from the early 1920s, is out of frame in both of the 1931 photos. The land here on the other side of Pollokshaws Road was cultivated as a kind of market garden by Ernest Pickwell & Son. Part of it was laid out as an orchard, which benefited the local urchins, who raided it regularly, although they had to be wary because the owner’s house at 2060 Pollokshaws Road (seen in 9) overlooked it. Pickwell also had lockups to let and sold petrol at the Shaw Bridge at the far end of this plot of ground. The tenement on the far right is part of the block owned by the Co-op.
8 Celebrations at Pollok House in 1957 for the 21st birthday of John Maxwell McDonald of Pollok House. In the foreground is the birthday boy, with his father, also John, wearing glasses standing in front of him. Second from the left hand edge is John’s mother, Mrs. Anne Maxwell Mcdonald. Seated are Mrs. Speedy of South Lodge in Barrhead Road, Mrs. Ferguson of one of the Bankhead Cottages at 2060 Pollokshaws Road, and Mr. Kirkwood of Arden lime quarry (wearing the hat). In view elsewhere are, Mr. White, factor, and Mr. Pitcairn, architect, both of the estate, and Robert Adam of Kennishead farm. Also present are officials of the following sports organisations; Poloc cricket and tennis club, Cartha Athletic club, Titwood cricket club, Bellahouston Athletic club, Pollok, Cowglen, and Haggs Castle golf clubs, and Pollokshaws, Bellahouston, and Newlands bowling clubs. Mr. & Mrs. Strang of Leggatston farm, Darnley, who are sitting next to Mr. Kirkwood, provided this photograph. Image courtesy of The Herald & Evening Times Picture Archive
9 This is the old road bridge (c1798) over the River Cart in Pollokshaws Road in 1930, probably when it was still called Barrhead Road. Pollokshaws West railway signal box is seen on the left, and the low brick built ‘howf’ at the end of the railway bridge parapet is the oil store for the signal lamps. Pickwell’s house is at the entrance to Pollok Estate. (See page 9 in Old Pollokshaws book I for a view of the new bridge under construction, and page 10 for the story and photo of the accident in 1926 when a locomotive came off the line and landed in Pickwell’s back garden.) In some of these photographs taken on the main road, like here, what looks like birds against the sky are the insulators of the tram span-wires.
10 Pollok Academy, c1962, was demolished 1968. Pollok Church of Scotland is the light coloured building on the right. See OP book I page 11 for a short history of both buildings. The playground shelter for pupils was within the arches in the ground floor of the building. In the early days of the school, older children living some distance away came by pony and trap, which were stabled here.
11 Sadie Meldrum throws the first bowl of a season in the 1950s at Pollokshaws Bowling Club (founded 1854). The original green was next to Pollokshaws Road, on part of the ground between Afton Terrace and Pollok Academy. On the left is Sheeppark Lodge at the entrance to the farm lane, framed by stone pillars. Of the railway signals visible, the ‘on’ single arm on the right hand post is the ‘down’ Pollokshaws West station approaches stopping signal, and the other post has the ‘up’ station starter and distant signals in the ‘off’ position for Busby Junction, the latter with fish tail arm. Note too the telephone pole carrying the large number of cables on the far side of the line in addition to the ones on the nearside, which were once a feature of all railway lines and main roads, and are today but a distant memory. I remember as a railway enthusiast in the 1960s visiting Pollokshaws West signal box one morning, having been attracted by unusual activity on the line. It was to find a chaotic situation and signal-man John Gribben at his wits end, caused by thieves stealing all the cables on both sides in this section during night for the copper, which cut all communication between here and Busby Junction. The line was busier then because it carried a considerable amount goods as well as passenger traffic, and as the section is on a curve which restricted visibility, all movements had to be undertaken at walking pace until the cables were replaced.
12 c1920. This fine tenement of four closes known as Afton Terrace is in what was at this time Barrhead Road. The Clydesdale Bank building in King Street running parallel behind, had a large garden at the rear that reached the backcourts of Afton Terrace, which covered the same amount of ground as the four backcourts. Beyond is the bowling green seen in 11 with its tall white flag pole standing out against Pollok Academy. On the left, along the foot of the railway embankment, there were two villas and other dwellings and business premises occupying the narrow strip of land between the railway station and Cunningham’s garage at Pollokshaws West. Attached to the garage there was a building with two houses, next to which was the first Eastwood Parish Church Hall. After the new hall was built next to the church in Mansewood Road around 1935, the old one was occupied by Walker’s ham curing business. They remained there until the 1960s, then they moved to a smaller building in Shawbridge Street where today there is a children’s nursery. Note too the roadside telephone poles referred to in 11.
13 Pollokshaws West seen from the corner of Cross Street and Shawbridge Street, 1932. Kennishead Road, originally called HighCartcraigs, rises up on the left to cross the railway line and continue on past the Greenknow to Darnley and Barrhead. Seen here too is a bench full of men in cloth caps, no doubt filling in their time discussing the latest scandal. Note the police box and the telephone kiosk at the tollhouse. Before the police had radios, and long before mobile phones, police boxes had a blue lamp on the roof which flashed if a call came through on the phone for the patrol. In situations like the one here, the patrol might be out of sight of the box, so another light was set up in a more prominent position. On the nearest telegraph pole at the tollhouse, the extension lamp can be seen projecting out-and-down at mid height. At the pavement edge to the right of the tollhouse is the pillar housing one of Glasgow Corporation Transport Department’s emergency internal telephones. The smaller building with a smoking chimney behind the tollhouse was Bryce Howatt’s blacksmith’s forge. The bus coming out of Barrhead Road looks like a Leyland Titan TD1 with Cowieson bodywork (and GG registration of 1929), that may have been on the number 14 service running between Nitshill and Glassford Street in the city. The building with chimneys on the right is Low Cartcraigs (seen more clearly on p14 of Old Pollokshaws book I), in one of the houses of which the popular political agitator John McLean lived with his mother for a time in the early years of the 20th century. The figure in the long white coat is a policeman directing traffic, known as being ‘on points duty’. Not much for him to do then! White foreshortened arcs above his head are the frontage of the two-bay private parking accommodation of Cunningham’s Garage, which was built on the site of his blacksmith’s forge. Cunningham (had then delete) specialised in making gates and railings while Bryce Howatt mainly shod horses. The four small white spots along the garage frontage are the Regent Petrol Company’s electric illuminating glass adverts that were usually fixed on top of the pumps, which at this time were quite likely to have been hand- cranked. The houses beyond the bridge, a single span then, were built for railway workers.
14 Second view looking north from different upstairs windows in a tenement in Kennishead Road around 11am on a summer’s day in1932. The train is probably on a local service to either Barrhead or East Kilbride. In the background of the photo on the tower of the burgh Hall and the chimney of the baths in Ashtree Road can be seen. In the foreground, Frame the carriers occupied the shed with the open door at number 36, and Scott & Watson had their soap and disinfectant producing chemical works nearby. Another of the buildings here is Bryce Howatt’s stables, and opposite its entrance and out of sight, apart from its shadow, is the two-storey tenement with Mrs. Dean’s sweetie shop at ground level. The upper floors of these tenements had a commanding view over Pollok Estate and the countryside to the west. Farther down the hill at the tree glimpsed on the right at the bottom of the road but unfortunately out of sight, there was an old villa, which was known as the black boys’ school. The term originated in the late 18th century when men from the West of Scotland, who went out to manage plantations in the Caribbean and prospered, sent their children back home to be educated. In this area too there had been a vet’s practice towards the end of the 19th century, and when he departed he left an articulated skeleton of a pony on the premises. It was still there when the building was being used as a dwelling, and in the 1940s an enterprising local lad used to charge other children from outwith the district a ha’penny to view it.
15 First of two views looking north from different upstairs windows in a tenement in Kennishead Road around 11am on a summer’s day in 1932. The train is probably on a local service to either Barrhead or East Kilbride. In the background of the photo on the tower of the burgh Hall and the chimney of the baths in Ashtree Road can be seen. In the foreground, Frame the carriers occupied the shed with the open door at number 36, and Scott & Watson had their soap and disinfectant producing chemical works nearby. Another of the buildings here is Bryce Howatt’s stables, and opposite its entrance and out of sight, apart from its shadow, is the two-storey tenement with Mrs. Dean’s sweetie shop at ground level. The upper floors of these tenements had a commanding view over Pollok Estate and the countryside to the west. Farther down the hill at the tree glimpsed on the right at the bottom of the road but unfortunately out of sight, there was an old villa, which was known as the black boys’ school. The term originated in the late 18th century when men from the West of Scotland, who went out to manage plantations in the Caribbean and prospered, sent their children back home to be educated. In this area too there had been a vet’s practice towards the end of the 19th century, and when he departed he left an articulated skeleton of a pony on the premises. It was still there when the building was being used as a dwelling, and in the 1940s an enterprising local lad used to charge other children from outwith the district a ha’penny to view it.
16 1971. The Ivy Castle, Cowglen, known also as the Ivy Tower. It occupied a plot on Broompark Farm land on the north side of Boydstone Road, here passing between the hedge and the short stretch of wall, about 400m west of the Kennishead Road junction. The tree seen here still stands so the location is easily found. Built in the early 1800s to house a steam engine used to pump water from coal pits in the area, it became covered with the climbing plant so that it became known as the ivy castle. When the pits closed in the early 1900s the building was converted into two houses, but it was demolished not long after this photo was taken. The white building in the right background was a store for Cowglen golf course maintenance equipment.
17 The Round Toll , c1910. Road tolls were introduced in 1750 and the roundhouse was built soon after for the toll keeper who collected the dues. To the left of the window with the shutter, the smaller aperture at mid-height, seen more clearly in 17, was probably where horse riders paid their dues. Although the tolls were abandoned about fifteen years before, above the aperture there is what looks like a board with a list of dues. The keeper, who had to be on hand to open the barrier, would have attended coaches and carts in person. In a situation quite different from the one seen here, he had to cope with traffic coming from four directions. This postcard view was take after the tram system was extended from the terminus at the end of Pollokshaws Road into Cross Street and Harriet Street and on to Rouken Glen. Of the numerous views of the tollhouse seen to date this, and 17, are only ones to show it from this angle.
18 The Round Toll, 1958, with Kennishead Road in the foreground and Cross Street is where the men are standing. The buildings behind are from the left, the original Methodist Church, the three-storey tenement with Sandra Vetturini’s cafe and the Mason’s Arms pub at street level. Then the two-storey Jubilee with its twin gables in Cross Street, and another three-storey building, this one in Harriet Street at the corner of Nether Auldhouse Road. The ‘washing’ hanging on the line propped up with the clothes-pole to the right of the toll house is oddly dark. Tenement dwellers using the wash-house in the back-court, strung a rope between usually four fixed clothes poles, which gave up to six stretches, to hang out large washings to dry. A load of wet clothes often caused the rope sag which meant the clothes might touch the ground, as well as causing other people using the court to have to brush through them. Children at play were usually the worst hazard. To counter this, each house-holder had one or two eight feet long slim portable clothes-poles of wood with a notch at one end for the rope, and trimmed to a point at the other so that it dug into the ground. Like the one seen here, it was used to prop up the line at the centre of a stretch, which made it easier for the walkers and lifted the clothes up to catch a breeze.
19 Cross Street, 1932. The premises with the confections and teas headboard was at one time a pub, but when the old building in Cross Street at Kennishead Road was demolished it allowed the road to be widened. The tramcar is closely followed by a single deck bus, and behind them is the low building (seen more clearly in 21) which was removed to allow Nether Auldhouse Road to be laid out, work on which is about to start. Seen here too against this building are a coal merchant’s cart and white horse. On the right are the public phone box and police box, and the white streak at the lower right edge belongs to an arm of a policeman on points duty, who is now sporting white pull-on arm sleeves instead of a white coat. The motorcycle combination parked at the box is probably his, and the quaint light truck behind is interesting
20 Harriet Street, 1932. When the two buildings on the left of this row between the Wellmeadow (now Sunlight) Laundry and Westwood Road were demolished, the two-storey red sandstone Corporation tenement standing today in what is now Thornliebank Road was put up in their place. The building with the shop and house at number 74 lasted until the main redevelopment in the 1960s, and today (2004) this site is a grassy plot with advertisement hoardings. At number 72 the laundry was off to the right; too bad the Wellmeadow laundry name board on the gable isn’t legible. Note the poles put up to carry the span wires for the trams, but the lamp post on the nearside on the left has been made use of for this purpose
21 Harriet Street, 1932. This row of buildings on the east side was opposite those in photo 19. The street numbers here are, from the left, 95 to 107. Number 105 was at the rear and was accessed through the passage left of centre between the buildings. Behind the three storey tenement the gable of which is on the left, is Greenbank Park, where the Auldhouse Burn was diverted from its bed to flow on its present route through Auldhouse Park to run into the River Cart above the weir. Originally it ran on a winding course more to the north, flowing behind the Victoria Pottery and the end of Cogan Street, before turning north west to pass under Shawbridge Street to run into the River Cart close to the bridge in Pollokshaws Road. When the diversion was made in the late 18th century, the original course had to be retained as a mill lade to continue the supply to existing industries that had previously been set up along its banks. The lade was last used in the 1920s, but the outflow into the Cart could still be seen as a trickle as late as the 1960s
22 Harriet Street, 1932. The low buildings are empty and are about to be demolished, and the pend with the arched entry leads to Clarks Close. That’s Alec Knox leaning on the saddle of his bike. Most houses in tenements in working class areas, like the one seen here on the left, were simple two apartments with high (10 to 14 feet) ceilings. They were known as room-and-kitchens (most often with a shared toilet on the half-landing), which were entered from the staircase landing by a main door that led into a usually small hall known as ‘the lobby’. Each house had two tall shallow cupboards with up to six shelves and of identical dimensions set into the walls, called press’s, either in the lobby or one in each apartment. All the doors in each house, outer, inner, and presses, were of solid wood painted dark brown, and had four vertical recessed decorative panels with beading, two short above waist height and two long below. Internal apartment door knobs were incorporated in a metal plate which had a sliding locking device on the inside called a ‘snib’. In a later age of home improvements, occupants took great delight in flush-panelling these doors with hardboard. But thirty years or more on, other younger people ‘discovered’ and removed the panels, and imagined they had made an interesting discovery of old-time design.
23 Clark’s Close, 19 Harriet Street, 1932. James Pollok’s dairy at number 3 Harriet Street had a cowshedbehind, and at this time his cattle grazed in a field at Wellmeadow. At milking times they were brought over to Harriet Street and lead through the pend seen in 21, to the rear, then along the lane at the back to the shed for milking. Before the middle of the 20th century, before refrigerators became available for working class homes and before milk was pasteurised and homogenised, in warm weather it would have turned sour by the second day. This meant that deliveries before breakfast time were essential. In the 1930s, virtually all milk retailers delivered door-to-door in the early hours, usually from horse-drawn carts. The milk, carried in churns containing about 20 gallons, was dispensed using a scoop having a long handle with a bent-over end for ‘parking’ on the lip of the churn. The scoop was like a soup tin and contained a half-pint measure. At this time glass bottles were being introduced, but the old practice of house-holders having a tin with a lid and a wire-loop handle made for carrying milk was still in use. People with a daily delivery hung the empty can on their door handle the night before, and in the early mornings the milk-boys used to run up the close to collect the empties and take them down to the cart to be filled. He returned with the full cans and hung them on the door handle and rang the door bell. The treating of milk so that today it will last up to a week was to end early morning milk delivery. On the right through the pend seen in 22, there was a group of low ground-floor-and-one-up buildings with outside stairs to the upper houses. This scene is of one of the courtyards, or back-courts, within the group.
24 Harriet Street at Cross Street looking north, c1900. James McDougall, of the tailor and clothing business seen here on the left, was the penultimate provost of Pollokshaws, serving from 1905 to 1911. The pub premises on the right, with the beer barrel suspended above the entrance, can be seen in the photo on page 20 in Old Pollokshaws book I in which in the c1920 postcard print it is a ‘fish restaurant’. A chip shop? Beyond the cart with the tarpaulin is the ‘Y’ junction with King Street, and James Pollok’s dairy referred to in 22 was on the right opposite the cart, standing at what became known as the Jubilee building.
25 Robert Jackson’s grocery shop at 11 Harriet Street (c1910) can be seen on the right in 23. Here it is with its efficient looking female staff. Note the adverts in the window for cocoa; Mazuwatee, Rountree’s, Bournville (Cadbury’s), Van Houton’s, and Rova, an early brand name that soon disappeared On the top shelf marked with ? & Stephenson’s Bread is Marshall’s semolina and bottles of what looks like spirits, which indicates it was an off licence. Also visible is a large container with an intriguingly puzzling commodity - Milk Maid brand toffee and milk. The next shelf has Beattie’s Celebrated Bread. Biscuits are still available today under that brand name, and this is why in the TV Taggart series the original Chief Superintendent, Beattie, was known as ‘the biscuit’. On the shelf marked Bilsland’s Bread there is a fine display of ham and bacon, the (!) tickets on which read from the left (although the prices are not seen), FINEST MILD CURED, FINEST BELFAST SMOKED, FINEST BOILED BACON, FINEST BOILED HAM, and FINEST AYRSHIRE BACON. Also visible is a sign advertising Crawford’s Biscuits.
26 The junction of Harriet Street and Shawbridge Street, 1958. On the right near-hand was what was known as the Jubilee building, with Thomas E Smith, painter and decorator in the former restaurant premises. Above the street name plates there is a pair of redundant telephone cable insulators. The Old Coach Inn was at number 1 Harriet Street and Pollok’s dairy was at number 3.
27 1958. Doctor Ellis Glekin’s surgery was at 287 Shawbridge Street, and to the left there was Charles McClurg’s fish shop at 285. Out of sight behind the low building, Alf Vetturini’s Glen Cafe was at 283. It was later managed by his daughter Sandrina and became known as Sandra’s Cafe. Beyond, there was a pend at 277 then the Mason’s Arms pub at 273/5. The sign on the projecting gable of the low building is advertising Willie Shannon’s fruit shop at 271. From what can be seen of the motor cycle on the right at the newsagents at 291, it looks like a BSA 500cc twin, and the car is a Morris, either an Oxford or a Cowley, with a late 1954 Glasgow registration number MYS 174.
28 Shawbridge Street looking north from the Jubilee building 1958. On the left the funeral director is Charles Freer at number 316 with the driver of one of his cars, a Humber Snipe with a 1951 Glasgow registration number JGE 748, looking out from the alleyway. The other cars are, on the left is what looks like a post-war Standard 8, although the small standard flag emblem of the manufacturer at the front of the bonnet should be more visible. The author shared a second hand pre-war (1939) model of this marque (registration number CGE 864) with a friend for a few years at this time. Well remembered features are the running-boards on each side underthe doors, the single tiny rear view mirror fixed on top of the off-side mudguard, and the side and head lights farther forward. Also recalled with horror is the inefficient cable operated brake system that had to be stripped down, cleaned, greased, reassembled and adjusted frequently. On the right there’s an Austin A35 with Dumfriesshire registration TSM 97, and what looks like a pre-war Morris 10 or 12hp. In Shawbridge Street at Cross Street, the even numbers ended with the Methodist Church at 334. Other interesting details of property owners and tenants noted at random are as follows: Angus Pickard, property owner from 332 to 314 and 288, was the well known eccentric millionaire of the middle years of the 20th century, AE Pickard. Beyond Freer’s is Andrew Strang’s ladies outfitters shop, and the branch of Galbraith’s grocery store which was set up at number 312 in opposition to the Co-op grocers not far away. Captain Douglas Neale of the Salvation Army is one of the tenants of the tenement at 308.
29 Shawbridge Street looking north towards Maxwell Cross, 1932. The viewpoints of the photographs on pages 28 and 29 are each visible in the other, and this one can be compared with the lower photo from 1961 on page 24 of Old Pollokshaws book I. On the left beyond the Clydesdale Bank, The Clachan Bar at 248/252 Shawbridge Street is in the three storey building, and there is what looks like a dark vertical oval advertising sign on a light background at ground floor level on the gable of the two storey tenement. Andrew McCallum, editor of The Pollokshaws News, was a familiar figure to the locals at this time walking down daily from his house, Gowanbrae in Mansewood (originally Kirkhill) Road to visit The Clachan. He is reputed to have gathered most of his reportage for the paper here. Beyond the pub, in the far distance the old building known as the Royal George can be seen. Too bad the car in the middle distance, the rear of which is seen in photo 28, isn’t close enough to be identified, but it might be a bull nose Morris of the 1920s. Next to the building on the right, at the end of the ‘39/45 war there was vacant ground on which a single pre-fabricated house, they were known as pre-fabs, was built, and a popular local woman, Mrs. Law, lived in it for about fifteen years. Other prefabs were constructed in Maida Street, Ashtree Road and Tracy Street. Farther off to the right, the next building was a good quality single close 2-storey red sandstone tenement at 229 Shawbridge Street, which was set well back from the pavement alignment of the adjacent low buildings.
30 Shawbridge Street looking south, 1932. Some of the details recorded here, and on this date in other captions, are from the 1950s and ‘60s. When the name was changed from King Street around 1931 the Clydesdale Bank was at number 268, but 270 also belonged to the bank, and from its well maintained appearance here it may have been the residence of the branch manager. In the 1950s the bank merged with the North of Scotland Bank and the titles were combined. Seven chimneys on the gable next to the bank is puzzling; four of them will be the flues from the rooms of the house, but did the other three really belong to the bank? In the early 1950s the writer worked as a junior salesman in a busy Co-op grocery store in Pollok, the takings from which were carried weekly on a Friday to the nearest bank, this one, and I, along with three or four other junior staff took turns to take it. Security was non-existent in those days, and it was a case of carrying around £600, equivalent to about £10k today, wrapped up in a paper poke on the bus! (!) The building in the distance on the left is the tenement with the Jubilee restaurant, but of a number of pictures of it in my collection, this is the only one to actually show the section containing the diner; all other views are of the sides and rear. Unfortunately, in this one it is too distant to show anything of interest. Boni Antinori, an Italian who was interned in 1940 owned the restaurant, but he did not re-open it after the war.
31 These workers are at the Victoria Pottery in Cogan Street c1930. Rear: Emma Hamilton, ? , Peggy Bryden, ? , Mary Nicol, Jessy McCabe, Jean Baird, May Dryden. Middle: ? , Maggie Wiseman, ? , Mary Nicol, ? , Anne Baird, Betty Knox, Kate Dryden. Front: George Morton, Charles Madden, Tom Brierton, Johnie McKenna. The Victoria Pottery was founded in 1855 by David Lockhart and Charles Arthur, and continued in production under the Lockhart’s until the 1950s. They produced decorated table ware, jugs, bowls, and ornaments which, before 1911, the pottery stamp has Pollokshaws rendered as Pollockshaws. Some items can be seen in the Peoples Palace Museum in Glasgow Green, but none are found with a date stamp later 1911, after which it is believed they concentrated on plain white ware.
32 King Street north of Maxwell Cross c1920. The white oblong projecting from the close on the left is a HOUSE TO LET notice at what became 232 Shawbridge Street. Beyond it a corner of the Royal George building can again be seen, and on the right opposite is the Pollokshaws West United Free Church, with Auldfield Parish Church beyond. Among the shops in the three-storey tenement on the right there is a grocery branch of the Pollokshaws Co-op Society. In the 1950s there was a women’s dress shop at number 193 in the name of Susan Williams and another of the same at 191, the owners of which are recorded as Jean and Catherine Williams. The post office at 189 was in the name of Cecilia McWhirr, and Robert Clyde’s grain store was at 185.
33 The Royal George, 1932. This is the best photograph of the building discovered so far. It was reputed to have been built as a hotel in the days of the stage coaches early in the 19th century. It is marked on the 1858 OS map at a time when this was the only form of public transport, which seems to confirm the theory. But it was probably converted to apartments before the turn of the 20th century. The name may have derived from it being the outer terminus of a stage coach service of that name between the city and the ‘Shaws. I remember seeing it near the end when it was still occupied and in an extremely dilapidated state, but was never in it. Tales are recalled of squalid conditions towards the end, of leaking pipes and blocked toilets flooding passageways, and plaster falling from the walls. In the 1959 Redevelopment Compulsory Purchase Order, Compressor Services Ltd. are listed at 200 Shawbridge Street. The next address in the record is 212, this one, at which 17 tenants are noted which would have been near enough to the capacity of the building: Archibald Anderson, William Skinner, ? Eastcroft, Marshal Scott, Francis McEwan, Henry Griffiths, James Scott, Lillias Babbs, Charles McLusky, George Pringle, John Donnelly, David Eastcroft, Ann McClusky, Thomas Rowantree, James Steven, George McAndrew, Archibald Keenan
34 The Shilling Ground and Shawbridge Street looking south from near the Shaw Bridge, 1932. The tree bordered grassy area on the left, behind which two women with babies-in-arms are having a ‘blether’, is what was known as ‘the shilling ground’. In previous centuries the estate’s tenant farmers winnowed their grain, before it was ground in the Lairds mill on the riverbank next to the bridge. It was a condition of tenancy that crops from estate farms be brought here to be milled. The process of winnowing grain was tossing it up in the air in a breeze to allow the lighter husks to be blown out. In the middle distance the Royal George is nicely framed in part by the mature tree, the gap probably opened by lopping to give headroom for road traffic, and shops in the distance, seen on page 31, have their sunblinds down. The building on the right was known as Pat McKenna’s. He was a general dealer who handled scrap material and second hand items, who sometimes operated on the margins of the law. His best known escapade was when police found him in possession of a blacksmith’s anvil, and when asked where he got it he claimed to have found it floating down the River Cart! What he is more likely to have said is that that he found it fly-tipped ‘in the river’.
35 King Street, 1930. Pat McKenna’s building, with the (!) street nameplate visible, has been de-roofed ready for demolition and the site cleared for the expansion of John McDonald (Pneumatic Tools) Ltd., at 174 to 194 Shawbridge Street. The stone carving on the face of the building to the right of the nameplate, may have been the gutter down-pipe support of the demolished building where the paling is seen. What looks like a doorway in the opened up gable between these buildings was probably a shallow cupboard of the type common in most houses of the time. McDonald’s had other premises at the riverside close to the bridge, at number 1 King Street, which then became 131 Shawbridge Street, probably on the site of the meal mill, where they tested the turbines they manufactured. In the background on the left is the rear of the Royal George building, and the smaller, nearer bungalow type house was probably the office of Compressor Services Ltd. at 200 Shawbridge Street.
36 The Unionist Rooms (1932) are opposite the shilling ground. The building may date from the time of the mill and could have been the miller’s house, but today the Pollokshaws Branch of the Grand Orange Order occupy It in an extended setting. The buildings on the left are part of McDonald’s turbine works. On the right Glasgow Corporation Cleansing Department set up a depot where in the 1950s Mr McAdam was the superintendent. The road, or lane, here, which passes off to the right, never had a name; all the occupants had King Street or Shawbridge Street addresses. It served a number of factories including Donaldson and Filer, who made paper and cardboard in a red brick building that was previously the Renfield Weaving Factory, and the Greenholm Laundry.
37 The old Shaws Brig here in 1932 was soon to be replaced by the present bridge. Note the chimney of the recently built (1928) baths and steamy on the left. On the left, too, behind the railings, the houses at the riverside have been removed to make way for the increased width and the shallower, extended curve of the new bridge and road. The tenement behind is in Bengal Street at the corner of Bengal Place, where a gathering for a funeral will be seen in a later print, and where today there is sheltered housing. In the centre of the photograph, the street name plate seen on the gable on the other side of the bridge is of Lillybank Place, which passed round behind the higher building, the Palladium Cinema, to meet Kirk Lane at its mid point. Previously the cinema was the Maxwell, then during this year, and for a brief period, it became The Palladium before being re-named again, as the Pollok. Part of the stone parapet of the original bridge seen here is still in place today next to the Orange Lodge, with the top of the coping at about waist height. This perspective of Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department’s cast iron street lighting fuse box, complete with coat of arms, gives a false impression of size; it actually stood about chest high. The car approaching the bridge from Main Street may appear to be the one seen on pages 28 & 29, but it is a different model. Of the buildings in Lillybank Place beyond the white- rendered gable with seven windows, one is ‘an old smithy in what was known as Skin-mill Yard’. It was used as a Roman Catholic Chapel from about 1850 to 1865, when the congregation transferred to the present building, St. Mary Immaculate in Shawhill Road.
38 The weir on the River Cart viewed from the Shaws Brig, 1931. The chimney and factory buildings belong to Brown and Adam Ltd.,cloth finishers and dyers, at their works in Factory Street. The building on the right had contained the meal mill sluice. At thistimeit was used by John McDonald to test their turbines, the outflow from which is visible low down.
39 Lillybank Place from the Shaw Brig, 1932. For a short distance it lay along the line of present day Riverbank Street adjacent to the river, before turning to pass behind the Maxwell/Palladium cinema. The originals of the prints on pages 38 and 39 had printed on the back, Peter McCafferty, 1481 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow, S3. August 1932, and were accompanied by the following anonymous notes written with a fountain pen. An eighteenth century building which is now being demolished in terms of an order by the housing committee and for street improvements. The tenants of which have been accomadated (sic) in “Carnwadric Housing Scheme”. A large part of this building was used as a forge by Mr James Muirhead until 1848 when he removed his business to Crossmyloof. 30 AUG. 1932 James Muirhead was the last member of the Muirhead family which, over 100 years, operated businesses in the area of Skin Mill Yard, on the outside of the curve of Lillybank Place where there is a plumbers business and car repair workshop in Riverbank Street today. A shammy mill for treating animal skins was started by the Tassie Family here in the late 17th century, which gave the yard its name, and John Muirhead acquired half the business in 1752. The next operation was glue-making in season, then in 1830 James Muirhead set up the Cart Forge making axles for railway vehicles, before moving the operation to Crossmyloof. Again, the tenement seen in the far background on the right is in Riverford Road at the entrance to the works of Brown & Adam Ltd.
40 Lillybank Place, 1932. Under the heading An Old Roman Catholic Chapel are these notes: The picture shows an old R.C. Chapel in Pollokshaws now being demolished. It was the first chapel in the burgh and came into being (for this purpose) in the year 1850. The Rev. Father Galletti, first resident priest in charge said mass in it until 1859, when a new chapel and school were built on Shawhill. There was a stone in the old building engraved with the letters A.M.D.G. which stand for Ad Majorem Die Gloriam.- (To the greater glory of God.) This stone is now being preserved at the new chapel (Saint Mary’s) on Shawhill. These two prints are the only ones of around two dozen supplied by John Howatt to be described. On the left is the partly demolished white rendered gable with seven windows seen on pages 36 and 38, and on the right and built of brick is the wall of the cinema.
41 The Turbine Works of John McDonald Ltd., 1932. The weir in the foreground was constructed near the end of the 18th century to provide power for the meal mill. No doubt at a later date the vacant facility attracted McDonald’s to set up on the site, to take advantage of the reservoir of water to test the turbines they manufactured. These buildings were probably the original McDonald’s premises in Pollokshaws in the 1930s, from which they expanded to the site on the other side of Shawbridge Street, part of the street frontage of which was where Pat McKenna’s scrap business (pages 33 & 34) was located. The flow of the river was concentrated here by the curve in the south bank, and it was made to run through the sluice to the outflow at a low wall that can still be seen in the river today. That wall is visible here below the south arch of the old Shaw Bridge, running from the sluice to the bridge pier. Above and to the left of this arch is the gable of the building McKenna occupied, the open rafters of which indicate that the roof is being dismantled. In the centre, projecting a little way above the chimney head of the tenement, is the short spire of Auldfield Parish Church (1837), while rising above the centre of the roof of the larger building on the left is the boiler chimney of the Greenholm Laundry situated behind the church.
42 Shawbridge Street looking north from the corner of Lillybank Place, 1932. The building on the left is being prepared for demolition to make way for construction of the new bridge, work on which was under way over two years. The faint FURNITURE BOUGHT sign projecting from above the nearest door seems to indicate the establishment had been a second hand store. Although there is nothing to indicate it, Pickwell’s garage was at the rear at this time, with access through the lane at the lamp standard with an askew lantern. In the distance the sunblinds of the Co-op shops can be seen, and in the gap between the buildings here the recently constructed baths and ‘steamy’ building is visible. On the right, where the three women are seen with a pram and carrying messages (shopping), these buildings are also due for removal. The cinema, which opened in 1921, is set back out of sight on the right, as revealed by the sun shining through the gap between the houses and casting the shadow of the peaked facade of the building’s frontage on the cobbles. (See page 30 of Old Pollokshaws book I for a brief history of the cinema, and page 31 for an interesting comparison photo in 1934.) Most main streets around the city were cobbled at this time, but later, while the rest of Shawbridge Street had been resurfaced with tar-macadam, the new bridge retained them until the 1960s.
43 Main Street c1910. The close on the left from which the light coloured BILLIARDS sign is projecting, is the access to the billiards saloon referred to in the caption on page 32 in Old Pollokshaws book I. For a brief period before it was demolished in the early 1960s the hall was used by Giffnock Theatre Players, probably for rehearsals. Bengal Street is first on the left on the facing corner of which the Maxwell Arms pub was located. In the background the bare gable, with a fireplace visible from an apartment in a building not long since demolished, is seen in other more recent photographs yet to be published, with large adverts for Heinz 57 varieties products. Sheltered housing was built on the vacant site between Bengal Street and Christian Street in 1983. The break in the pavement at lower centre almost opposite Bengal Street, behind the figure of the black clad man, is the entrance to Kirk Lane.
44 Kirk Lane, 1932. Two unidentifiable women stand in the doorway of number 5 while a cat sniffs around. The taller building at the end of the row has a business sign projecting at number 11, where in the 1950s plumber Donald Sime had a workshop. Behind the post with the sign stopping vehicle access is the wall of the Old Vennel graveyard. In the background the villa, Riverbank House, which stood next to the Viking Thread Mill, can be seen. This house, at the dog-leg of the lane when it ran as far as Factory Street, became the residence of Mr Munn when he was caretaker of the Mill. Note the long narrow granite paving slabs laid at the horse-drawn cart iron-shod wheel spacing to reduce noise when the lane had through access. Slabs were laid close to the pavement on busy cobbled main roads in certain places, and they really did cut down the noise of wheels which, close too with fast drivers, could be almost as bad as that of the riveter’s and boiler maker’s pneumatic hammers. The well known actor Alex Norton, currently starring in the Scottish Television series Taggart as DCI Burke, lived here in the early 1960s
45 Pollokshaws Co-op Society Ltd., c1910. These are the central premises at 72 to 104 Main Street in the three-storey tenement built by the society around the turn of the century. The building had six shops at ground level and eighteen houses above in three closes. Access to a small building at the rear, (reference to 45 deleted) used as a store by the grocery department, was gained through the pend seen here beyond the last sun blind. More information about the co-op will be found in Old Pollokshaws book I, pp31, 32 & 33. John McNiven’s Maxwell Arms pub Is at the corner of Bengal Street where the advertisement is seen painted on the wall.
46 At first glance, this appeared to be a good reproduction of the photograph of the back-court at 33 Main Street on page 24 in Andrew McCallum’s book POLLOKSHAWS, Village & Burgh, 1600 - 1912. The angles match up and they appeared to be from the same print, but there are differences. This one from 1932 takes in a slightly greater area of the court, and the young boy seen at the foot of the stairs in the print in M’Callum’s History, with what looks like a gird, is missing here. Also, the gas lamp is absent in the book print, and the chimney head here with one ‘lum’ has two in the other print.
47 The Townshouse 1931, three years before the main part was demolished leaving the tower. Note the telephone box, and the gas lamp standard with the street name on a strip across the top of the facing glass section. At one time it was fairly common for one or two lights along some streets to be so treated, with white letters on a blue background. For a brief history of the building see page 37 in Old Pollokshaws book I.
48 The Townshouse c1900, seen from the raised section of pavement that ran between Shawhill Road and the police station which is just out of sight on the right in the photograph on page 50. Here, her head covered with what looks like a black patterned shawl, a woman is emerging from an entrance to the last building on the nearer side of Shawhill Road. Except for the Townshouse, the buildings here seem to be of comparatively recent construction with crisp details, especially the one on the right with the crow stepped gable. The three premises here on the right have all changed hands by the time of the photograph referred to above. The FISHMONGER sign on the left of the Townshouse is where the original McClurg’s shop was situated. They are now in the Stag building (so called after the pub which is out of sight behind the Townshouse), in the shop on the left next to the dairy seen here, known later as ‘Dougies’ dairy.
49 Greenview Street, 2000. This design, a cross within a circle laid out on the road surface in front of the Townshouse using cobblestones, is reputed to mark the spot where the old Pollokshaws stone cross stood. Despite repairs and resurfacing it has been faithfully preserved by the corporation and Councils roads authority for 120 years. The cross may have had to be moved when the tram line was laid in 1883, but when the road was laid with cobbles the design was painted on them. Efforts made in recent times to trace the whereabouts of the cross have been unsuccessful. One report was that it had been moved to Pollokshaws West but had subsequently disappeared. However, in a garden in Pollokshields there is a shaft on a stone base, which at one time was topped with an ornamental ball. It could have been that in being moved, at one stage the top of the Pollokshaws cross was knocked off and replaced with the ball before being moved there.
50 Shawhill c1910. This postcard photograph is wrongly identified. The Square is where the Townshouse stood and where the tower still stands out of view on the left, bordered by the then Main Street and Factory Street, and Pleasance Street and McArthur Street. The open area in the foreground was occupied by Pollokshaws gas works, the site having been cleared after the turn of the century. The production plant closed down when it was decided to take the supplies from Glasgow Corporation’s new Tradeston gas works near Eglinton Toll. Two pairs of poles can be been in Pleasance Street carrying the span wires supporting the overhead power supply cables for the single track tram line. The low buildings on the left at the foot of Shawhill Road appear older when compared with their appearance in the photo on page 48. In a garden on the right a washing can be seen hung out to dry. To the left of the drying clothes, the back wall of the pavement is higher than elsewhere and the chimney rising up from it indicates that the wash-house was here. There is a description and a drawing of this facility on page 4 of my book Bygone Govan (2003). The single close tenement high up on the left must have been demolished soon after this time, because St. Mary’s church hall is standing on the site in the 1913 OS map. Between this building and St Conval’s Infant School, with its peaked roof above the staircase, part of the terrace of houses in Parkhill Road are seen. Lower down, in line with the school and near the foot of Shawhill Road, is the entrance to the lane know as Dovecote. Did St. Mary’s church have a steeple at one time which is being removed here?; it looks as if work is going on at the tower. The chapel house is seen on the right of the church, and St. Conval’s Primary School lies out of sight behind.
51 St. Conval’s Primary School was completed in 1906; this class photo is from November 1946.
Back row: J. Connelly, J. McGhee, A. McGhee, T. Carrigan, J. Connelly, A. Narelli, J Niblo, J. Broadly, P. Blair. 2nd back row: J. McGhee, T. Fee, E Bole, E. Hazlet, M. Harley, A. Riley, B. Morrison, Crawford, M. Cuthill, M. Bennett, G. Donaldson, C. Mullen, Miss McKee (teacher), T. Riley. 3rd row: M. Traynor, R. Hunter, J Mulligan, E. Rossi, A. Mullen, E. Benntly, A. Wylie, A. Cannon, J. McKenna, L. Slapecus, J. McLaughlan. Front row: P. Harley, W. Martin, J. Ferguson, P. McMahon, A. McClymont, A. Farrell, N. O’Neil.
53 Pollokshaws gas works was established in 1836 on the site between McArthur Street and Pleasance Lane (at this time it was Green Lane). Of the two pictures here, the one of the ‘Toonshoose’ dates from the late 1890s. Taken looking south, 53? shows the gas holder, known in the past as a gasometer, and the chimney associated with the production plant in the background. Because of the upheaval caused by digging up roads to lay the pipes and their failure to restore the road surfaces properly after work was completed, during the time it existed the gas company had a strained relationship with the town council for much of its life. In 1846 street lighting was installed, then in 1891 Glasgow Corporation took over the works and continued to operate it until 1900, when their new plant at Tradeston became operational. The supply was taken from there, then the Pollokshaws site was cleared and tidied up. This area was later used for housing; two tenement blocks were put up on either side of McDougal Street, one close of which survives today at the corner of Riverford Road. On this site there had been a fire station, and a bath house, a small, low building built in 1909 by Glasgow Corporation with accommodation for 6 men and 2 women. The latter survives in McDougal Street in the space between the older building and the newer red sandstone tenement. Strangely, the tram line layout here does not conform with what is known about the system. The line was laid in 1883 by the Glasgow Tramcar Co. as an extension from Kilmarnock Road to a terminus in Main Street which ended in a run-round loop at the point where Christian Street was later to emerge. The extension along Greenview Street from here to Pollokshaws Road was laid before 1900, but the original line turned off Greenview Street into Main Street here on the right, and it survived to be shown on the 1913 OS map. So why is it not visible here?
54 This photograph shows the site clearance under way. This view is looking north west and must have been taken from the gasometer before it was demolished, or the roof of one of the factories on the other side of Pleasance Lane.
55 Riverford Road in the 1930s with the new bridge replacing the old Baird’s Bridge, seen on page 40 of Old Pollokshaws book I, recently completed. The three bridges over the River Cart are in Pollokshaws Road, the Shaws Bridge in Shawbridge Street, and this one. Others along its course down stream along with two or three over the Brock and Levern Burns, were all replaced by new, much wider structures with similar fine granite parapets during the 1930s. The Macquisten Bridge in Kilmarnock Road dates from 1907. The photographer who took this mid-day picture must have arranged with the individuals visible to pose. On the extreme right, at the end of the parapet nearest the camera, a gate can just be seen in the railings, which leads to steps down. These stairs provided access for workers to where there was a cooperage and other factories at a lower level, which was prone to occasional flooding. Until recently this area was very overgrown and jungle-like. However, the gate is still there, the greenery has been cleared and an efforts is being made to provide a riverside walk all the way downstream from Linn Park.
56 Identification of this 1932 photograph was problematic. It was one of the series provided by John Howatt, but there are no other pictures showing buildings in this configuration in the ‘Shaws. However, the tram line indicates that it could be Pleasance Street between McDougal Street and Pleasance Lane, and these very old buildings would have been removed as part of the 1960s redevelopment. Across the road here was the second police station, the first of which was in Pollok (Greenview) Street. (See page 43 of Old Pollokshaws book I.)
57 This is another 1932 view that needed a little detective work to identify the location. It was features on the three-storey tenement behind, mainly the pediment at roof level above the oriel windows on the other side of Pollokshaws Road that helped place it. The buildings in the foreground are on the site of where the Corporation tenement was built in Pollokshaws Road in the late 1930s in what is now Rossendale Court. At this time a coloured individual called Darkie McIntyre had a blacksmith’s business here, which may have been in one of these buildings. Note the break in the tenement behind, where there was a low building in which Willie Cassidy had a news-agent’s shop in the space at the bus stop that is now a passage into Mannering Court. Towards Haggs Road, electrical contractors Edgar & Mellan and Miss Miller’s dairy were in the three storey building, and the Old Swan pub was farther along at the corner of Haggs Road. It is recorded that during the second half of the 19th century a Peter Swan, a miner at Cowglen colliery, moved to Pollokshaws and became a spirit merchant. Perhaps this is where the name of the pub came from. (Extract from BORN TO COAL, The History of the Wingate Family, part 1, Dr. Guy S. Wingate, 1992.)